The Rams sported shoulder pads as a 90-man roster for the first time today in front of a crowd of over 1,000 dedicated fans at Rams Park in Earth City, Mo.
“Today was really what we expected,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said. “There were no issues, except we made a lot of big plays on both sides of the ball.
Sam Bradford wasted no time getting started in team drills, completing touchdown passes to Brian Quick, Kenny Britt and Austin Pettis. Most notably, Britt hauled in a difficult ball with second-year defensive back Brandon McGee in his face.
“He loves playing the game,” Fisher said of Britt. “He feels good. He’s making a lot of plays for us.”
Fisher also credits Britt for bringing along Quick, a receiver of a similar ilk.
“Kenny may make a mistake as far as an incorrect route here or there, but he does it going full speed,” Fisher stated. “Brian, early on in his career, if he wasn’t sure, he wasn’t quite full speed. I think Brian’s learning just to go. Good things happen when you’re running hard.”
NEWS AND NOTES
- Michael Sam boasted about the help he has received from his fellow defensive linemen after practice today.
“Chris [Long], Eugene [Sims], Robert [Quinn], they’re all helping me,” Sam said. “They want me to make this team. They’re excited that I’m here. I couldn’t have gone to a better D-line.”
Sam also had the chance to catch up with his former Mizzou coaches, including Defensive Coordinator Dave Steckel and Defensive Line Coach Craig Kuligowski.
“Their report day is Sunday, so it was good seeing those guys,” Sam said.
- Shaun Hill delivered a beautiful pass to undrafted free agent Jordan Harris along the sideline as he crossed the goal line for a touchdown in team drills.
- Cory Harkey pulled in a spectacular one-handed catch, drawing excitement from the offense before turning upfield and taking a hit from Lamarcus Joyner, which predictably drew excitement from the defense.
WATCH: One-on-One with Lamarcus Joyner
- Garrett Gilbert found Chris Givens for a touchdown on the right side of the end zone, but was then intercepted by Joyner on the very next play. Cody Davis also came up with an interception late in practice.
- Third-round pick Tre Mason received first-team reps during a portion of team drills today.
- Undrafted free agent running back Trey Watts continues to impress with the third-team offense. Today marked the second time he made it through the line of scrimmage untouched and into the secondary.
The team will take tomorrow off before practice at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, 3:30 p.m. on Friday and at 12:30 p.m. at #RamsFanFest on Saturday at the Edward Jones Dome. Stay tuned for coverage throughout training camp right here at www.stlouisrams.com.